Manager - Actuarial, General Insurance- Bristol
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
We have ambitious and exciting growth plans for our new non-life practice in Bristol (focused on the Retail market) and are looking for the right candidates to join our team. Our new team forms part of a large Consulting (including Life and Pensions actuarial) practice in Bristol which has a strong community and network.
The foundation of the practice is supported by local clients who provide an annuity stream of revenue as well as some of the work currently carried out by our wider non-life focused London team. From this base, the vision is to develop meaningful propositions for clients and help them to solve and address their biggest challenges.
We are growing our team in response to client demand and to support opportunities for the wider EY Insurance and Consulting businesses.
Our UK actuarial practice is a large team with a strong and exciting growth trajectory
- Award winning actuarial team (Insurance ERM Actuarial team of the Year 2021, The Times Actuarial Graduate Employer of Choice 2021).
- Our Actuarial team is seen as the heartbeat of the EY Insurance team and key to unlocking new work for the sector – there are opportunities to work alongside other Insurance professionals with different backgrounds to aide all client needs.
- Growing Bristol and Retail is a core part of our overall strategy to build on the significant investment for the EY firm on supporting UK Retail. We have hired a new director, and under UK leadership, have plans to grow our footprint in this space over the coming years.
- Our Motor and household Seminars provide useful insights and is noted by the retail market as a differentiator.
- There are significant opportunities linked to fair pricing, Actuarial Transformation, claims and wider analytics.
- EY have a market leading Claims Transformation practice in Retail insurance and the Actuarial team play an integral role in Claims Analytics – from developing claims business cases, setting up claims analytics teams, designing and implementing machine learning models to integrating models with other claims systems.
- We are also onboarding new Retail clients through audit transitions, which gives us access to market insights / key individuals at clients to build relationship and leverage our knowledge to consulting clients.
- This growth is nurtured by a mature portfolio of annuity SAO / Audit revenue from the wider London based non-life actuarial team.
We place a great focus on our people and offer a great opportunity to learn and develop in a collaborative environment.
- This is an opportunity to help shape and build a brand-new team whilst still being part of a wider actuarial team which has a strong reputation in the market and all the advantages of being part of a "Big 4 firm" with multi-service-line offerings.
- We are currently team of four (two senior and two graduates). You would play a key role in developing a world class team and establishing an excellent working culture with ambitions to grow significantly over the coming years.
- This role offers exceptional opportunities for personal growth and advancement, to develop your wider business knowledge, and to build internal and external relationships across disciplines and across borders.
- Our wider actuarial team has a strong reputation in the market for bringing bespoke offerings to our clients which recognise the uniqueness of our clients’ portfolios and needs.
- We have capabilities broader than the conventional actuarial fields of traditional reserving, capital, pricing and modelling: we also operate as part of wider consultancy projects embracing strategy, risk management, analytics, stochastic reserving, economic capital, capital optimisation, Solvency II and other prudential regime changes.
We are at the forefront of these areas, with best in the class tools and knowledge, built up over several years. Our business model ensures that:
- Our expertise extends beyond boutique actuarial consultancies;
- We leverage the synergies of being part of broader European and global actuarial teams;
- We enjoy the advantages of being part of "Big 4 firm" multi-service-line offerings; and
- Our people enjoy the benefits of being able to participate in a wide variety of actuarial and insurance work; combining audit, audit-related and non-audit projects with a global client reach.
Your key responsibilities
- Manage to completion the technical delivery and reporting for projects, providing insight to projects on technical matters;
- Present to clients at senior executive and board levels;
- Play your part in the development of meaningful propositions and thought leadership for clients around their biggest challenges in the market and support sales-oriented client interaction;
- Assist in responding to varied client proposals;
- Develop strong relationships with your peers across other teams within EY and our clients;
- Working closely with colleagues, you will create a positive learning culture; developing the team through effective supervising, coaching and mentoring; and
- Play a role in how the team operates and develops - such as feedback, counselling, finance, recruitment, learning and development.
Skills and attributes for success
- A strong quality ethic, and ability to transfer knowledge and good practice.
- Dynamic capability, working with a variety of stakeholders and viewpoints.
- An ability to manage clients' expectations in relation to deliverables.
- Excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral.
- Strong levels of organisation.
- An ability to identify risk on assignments, involving the Senior Manager/Director/Partner appropriately to resolve issues.
To qualify for the role, you must have:
- Significant actuarial experience in leading-edge UK retail insurance (e.g. motor, household and/or other retail), gained through working for an insurer directly or a top tier consultancy or a specialist financial services consultancy.
- Strong academic record including a degree and professional actuarial qualifications (IFoA or similar, qualified or nearly qualified).
At least five years of experience covering at least two of the following areas:
- Reserve reviews under different accounting bases for retail general insurance business;
- Reserving process improvement and development work;
- Development or review of Solvency II technical provisions and associated processes;
- Reserve risk assessment using stochastic techniques;
- The business planning process, linking reserving, pricing, claims and underwriting;
- The review of Solvency II internal models and associated processes; or
- Development of risk management frameworks under Solvency II.
- A track record of managing actuarial projects and team members, delivering or managing multiple tasks in parallel.
- Be able to support, coach and mentor more junior members of the team to build the wider skill set of the team.
- Be commercially savvy and able to collaboratively engage in discussions on future market trends and what this may mean for our clients.
- Be a problem solver; tailoring what you have learnt from your experiences to date to different client problems to help design and implement the solution.
- A real desire to work as part of a team in the South West and to be part of a people centric community.
What we are looking for
We are looking for candidates who are; excited by the opportunity to help us develop and grow a team of high performing consultants in Bristol, can apply actuarial approaches through a commercial lens and are excited about helping our clients improve the way they operate. Being a strong team player is important, as well as someone who is happy to work flexibly on different clients and different engagements.
You’ll thrive on being a numerate, rationale thinker with a passion for this field and have very strong attention to detail.
What we offer
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
- Type of Contract
- Graduate jobs
- Published at
- Profession type
- Full UK/EU driving license preferred
- Car Preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the EU
- Cover Letter Required
Get similar vacancies sent to your mailbox
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!