Manager, Life Actuarial, Edinburgh
EY Life Actuarial is hiring! Join our award-winning actuarial team and work with some of the strongest actuarial practitioners on a range of exciting client projects. Our client base is diverse. We work in the insurance sector with traditional insurers and reinsurers both in the UK and globally, with the Life Actuarial practice being a core component of our insurance sector service offering. More broadly we support clients such as asset managers, hedge funds, industry bodies and start-ups, to name a few, who interact with insurers or insurance business.
Our UK team is one of the largest of EY’s actuarial practices globally, regularly supporting both other actuarial teams in different locations as well as other service lines in the UK. The size of the practice and range of projects available gives our team members a diverse and challenging environment to continually develop and learn.
We want actuaries who are not just great technicians but brilliant consultants. Actuaries who can build networks, spot industry trends and solve industry problems. If you are interested, please read on and apply.
We are looking for high performing Managers to join our Life Actuarial practice. As a member of the team, you will be at the front and centre of delivering exciting client work and working with our internal teams to turn the latest ideas into client ready propositions. As a manager you will be in the critical and pivotal role of managing the projects, under supervision of the senior members of our team. This includes liaising with clients and the senior team members, managing the junior team, driving the delivery and managing the operational metrics of the project.
The work we deliver is broad, and includes:
- Traditional reporting and audit support
- Mergers & acquisitions, both buy and sell side due diligence
- Capital management, including regulatory support such as Internal Model reviews/applications and strategic change, such as optimisation, Part VII transfers and independent expert support
- Transformation including accounting change and operational change
- Technology change including analytics, automation and ML/AI
- Investment advisory, supporting both insurers and asset managers interfacing with insurers
Your key responsibilities
- You will manage the delivery of key projects for our clients on a wide range of topics
- You will manage the operational metrics on projects, including working through resourcing, budgeting and scoping with the senior team and clients
- You will create innovative and commercial insights for clients, adapt methods and practices to fit operational teams and cultural needs, and contribute to thought leadership
- You will contribute to and manage the delivery of improving operational efficiency on projects and internal initiatives, consistently driving projects to completion making sure that the work delivered is best in class
- You will be expected to manage your time and be responsible for delivering to both clients and internal stakeholders, keeping a clear focus on anticipating and identifying risks, and escalate issues as appropriate
- Working closely with colleagues, you will create a positive learning culture and coach and counsel junior team members and help them to develop
- You will contribute to the development of EY capabilities in technical areas and engage with clients regarding the application of these methodologies to their businesses
- You will collaborate with colleagues outside of UK Life Actuarial to deliver multi-disciplinary and cross-geographical work
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong technical / mathematical skills
- Good communication and project management skills
- Very keen attention to detail
- Good people skills, including ability to work effectively in teams, guiding more junior members of staff and influencing senior team members
- Able to work independently and to demonstrate initiatives and commitment to assigned projects
To qualify for the role you must have
- Successful track record in Life insurance, gained through working for a provider directly or a top tier consultancy or a specialist financial services consultancy
- A degree and Fellowship in the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (FIA) or other internationally recognized professional actuarial association
- Experience managing a team and running a range of projects, including being responsible for the project management
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
Responsibilities, Qualifications, Certifications - External
Who we are
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
Please note: Prior to finalizing your application, you will be asked to provide personal information across several dimensions of diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept entirely confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment process holistically and implement actions that promote diversity and inclusiveness. While optional, we encourage you to provide this information to hold us accountable towards our goal of building a better working world. We ask because it matters!
- Type of Contract
- Graduate jobs
- Published at
- Profession type
- Full UK/EU driving license preferred
- Car Preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the EU
- Cover Letter Required
Get similar vacancies sent to your mailbox
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!